[wdvltalk-social] am I being scammed

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 10:31:02 GMT 2008

On 03/17/08 09:17, joseph harris wrote:
> I am changing my old jalopy for another old jalopy.   I have put an
> ad in Ad-Mart online.
>
> So far it has got two replies, both in poor english, and I smell a
> possible scam.

If it smells fishy, it probably is :)

If they start mentioning things like "I'll send you a cheque for X, you
cash it, take the sale price and give the rest to my
representative/shipping agent who will come to collect the car" then
tell them where they can stick it, that's the most blatant scam going.

> Has anyone specific advice on spotting this [like saying they will
> pay by check when old jalopies usually pass for cash - unless they
> are old enough to be 'vintage'  ;-)].

Send it along in plain text and we can all let you know what we think :)

I sold my car recently, I listed it on Autotrader's website and within a
few hours I had a few obvious scam emails.

One example was this little gem:

Hello I saw an advert reading you want to sale your car, at this point i
want to bring to your notice that im 100% interested in the buying. The
 £975 you requested for is ok by me. check will be issued and would
clear into your account before the car will leave your door step. The
payment will include the shipping money which will be used for the
transfer from your origin to my destination and to take care of the
paper works .I will want you to get in touch with the following details
if my terms are okay:

FULL NAME..................... ADDRESS........................ TELEPHONE
NUMBERS................... Immediately this vital imformation gets to me
the funds will be sent to you. Pls note that you'll have to send the
balance of the funds to my shipper so he can come attend to the pick up
as soon as you make the car ready. So i will look forward to a
successful transaction with you.waiting for your reply Asap
Regard
Benny

And another one soon after:

MAIL NOTIFICATION
IN THE PURCHASE OF YOUR (car).I  AM A BUSSINESS MAN  IN THE UNITED
KINGDOM IN WALES,BUT AS AT NOW I AM OUT OF STATE FOR A BUSINESS TRIP.I
WILL BE HAPPY IF THIS (car) IS  MINE AS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS
PARTICULAR MODEL.THESE ARE MY TERMS OF TRANSACTION:

  1   I AM OKAY WITH THE PRICE £975
2   I WILL BE  PAYING WITH A  UK CHEQUE
3   I WILL PAY  IN EXCESS WHICH WILL BE £3,000

  THE EXCESS FUNDS IS FOR MY SHIPING AGENT WHICH WILL COME FOR THE PICK
UP OF THE (car) IN YOUR LOCATION AND I AM BUYING IT FOR MY SON.I  WILL
WANT YOU TO GET BACK TO ME WITH YOUR FULL NAME,ADDRESS AND PHONE
NUMBER.THIS INFORMATION WILL BE NEEDED FOR SMOOTH  TRANSACTION AS THE
NAME GIVEN WILL BE ON THE CHEQUE AND IT WILL BE SENT TO THE ADDRESS
GIVEN,AFTER YOU HAVE GETTING THE PAYMENT AND IT CLEARS YOU WILL SEND THE
BALANCE TO MY SHIPPING AGENT VIA WESTERN UNION TRANSFER IN OTHER  FOR
THEM TO COME FOR PICK UP,.THE PHONE NUMBER WILL BE FOR TIME TO TIME
CONTACT WHICH YOU WILL BE PROVIDE TO ME.IF YOU ARE OKAY WITH MY TERMS
SEND ME THE INFORMATION NEEDED WITH THE  PRESENT LOOK OF THE (car) WHICH
IS THE PICS OF IT.I BELIEVE THIS TRANSACTION  IS ON TRUST,AS YOU TRUST
ME WITH YOUR INFORMATION SO I TRUST YOU WITH MY FUNDS AND THE STATUS
STATED THAT THE (car) IS OKAY AND IN GOOD  CONDITION.LOOKING FORWARD TO
A HAPPY TRANSACTION.I WILL LIKE YOU TO GET BACK TO ME AS SOON AS YOU GET
 THIS MASSAGE,LOOKING FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU ASAP

(I particularly like the "as soon as you get this /massage/"...)