[wdvltalk-social] [OT] system idle process

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Thu Jan 24 12:49:00 GMT 2008

From: "David Precious"
> Adam Cork wrote:
>> I used to be on this (and the main WDVL list) but set my
>> status to idle
>> on both, as I wasn't getting time to run through the mail I
>> received
>> each day (mainly on the main list). But since the server
>> changeover on
>> the social list, I appear to have been set to receive messages
>> again.
>>
>> I thought I should make my presence known, don't know if any
>> of you
>> remember me - I never posted much before.
>
> I remember you Adam - welcome back :)
>

>> Anyway, Joseph, the system idle process is designed to account
>> for all
>> unused CPU time, so will often show 99% usage. Basically
>> whatever isn't
>> used up by other processes.
>
> Exactly right - the "idle process" isn't really a process at
> all, it's
> just showing what CPU usage isn't being used by other
> processes.
> --
> David Precious
> davidp at preshweb.co.uk :: http://blog.preshweb.co.uk/

Thank you both and Hi! Adam.   In that case is there a useful way
of finding out why the machine is so 'sticky' at present.
Occasionally it works at a reasonable speed, but mostly it comes
as near as may be to a cracsh without the actual blood on the
road. [Sorry Matt, don't let me put you off  ;-)].

I imagine it is cloggy registry syndrome, but maybe I should
start somewhere else?

TIA

Joseph Harris