[wdvltalk-social] [OT] system idle process

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 10:02:29 GMT 2008

Adam Cork wrote:
> I used to be on this (and the main WDVL list) but set my status to idle
> on both, as I wasn't getting time to run through the mail I received
> each day (mainly on the main list). But since the server changeover on
> the social list, I appear to have been set to receive messages again.
>
> I thought I should make my presence known, don't know if any of you
> remember me - I never posted much before.

I remember you Adam - welcome back :)

> Anyway, Joseph, the system idle process is designed to account for all
> unused CPU time, so will often show 99% usage. Basically whatever isn't
> used up by other processes.

Exactly right - the "idle process" isn't really a process at all, it's
just showing what CPU usage isn't being used by other processes.

--
David Precious
davidp at preshweb.co.uk :: http://blog.preshweb.co.uk/

   "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
      it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)