[wdvltalk-social] Imprint title - help requested

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Sun Aug 10 23:18:30 BST 2008

From: "David Blakey"
> At 02:54 11-08-2008, you wrote:
>
>>I had settled on 'Don't Panic Books' as an imprint for books
>>dealing with grim situations that could be recovered. A Domain
>>search ealry this year indicated the .co.uk name was available.
>>However I now find it was registered last year, and is for a
>>new
>>bookshop named Don't Panic. Apart from any isisues of rights
>>I,and I
>>am sure they, would not welcome the confusion.
>
> If you are convinced that this branding format isn't tired,
> then you
> might want to repeat or reword your own description.

Convinced would be a strong word for my position, but I suspect
the imprint name would help greatly in explaining the book with a
glance at the cover, specially while it is only pdf.

> 'Grim' and 'recovery' could be starting points, and if you
> change
> 'recovery' to avoid medical connotations, you should be able to
> come
> up with something snappy.
>
> 'Revival' or 'regain'?  'Renew'?
>
> There might be something with 'Harris' and 'harass', without
> being
> too long-winded.

These are all a help. I'll be sleeping on it and probably not get
back to it before Tuesday so it provides a lot of material to
wander round the vacant spaces of the cranium.

> I do think that snappy titles can imply lack of depth.

The title of the book itself is Control Your Debt Crisis on Your
Own Terms: Making Creditors and Debt Collectors Obey the Law.

I don't think
> that anyone facing a real crisis in management picks up a One
> Minute
> Manager book, for instance.  I would read those titles in my
> leisure
> as a way of finding out how to improve my business.  I think
> that
> your books will be aimed at people who want to stop the
> imminent
> failure of their businesses, so something more 'solid' might be
> better.  So 'Business Recovery Books'?
>
> Regards,
> David

Certainly recovery is a good angle, and for this 'recover your
life' might be the direction I would see. I could simply use the
publisher name 'S P Publications' but it doesn't say anything
useful, supportive or marketing directed. An imprint gives the
opportunity to draw like books into a recognisable name, like
Dummies' and Idiot's books and Teach Yourself. Three marvellous
ones [in this form known as series titles, but doing the same
job] - but they are taken ;-(.

Joseph