[dancer-users] Dancer Advent Calendar 2015

Amelia Ireland aireland at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 26 14:43:33 GMT 2015

Hi Gabor,

I agree with most of your points, and particularly about consolidating the
articles in a single location; ideally there would also be an index or tags
so that users could find all the articles about, say, plugins, or the use
of 'appname'. I'd argue for adding it to the Dancer distribution and
mirroring it on a website, rather than just having it online somewhere,
mostly because it is much easier to have a single resource for
documentation, and if it can be accessed offline, that's even better!

Re: the advent calendar, the advantage is that it focusses people on
writing articles by a specific deadline, as well as inspiring those who
would not usually contribute to write something up and share it with the
community. Even if the articles are not all read in December, they provide
a useful lasting resource, as the access stats you've quoted show. I think
it'd be hard to motivate people to contribute for a fortnightly article --
from my own experiences of organising a monthly news email, it very quickly
becomes a chore. A one-off or annual event is far more likely to be
successful.

Cheers!
Amelia.