[dancer-users] Medium-Scale Dancer series updated

Warren Young wyml at etr-usa.com
Tue Dec 29 15:49:22 GMT 2015

On Dec 26, 2015, at 3:01 AM, Sawyer X <xsawyerx at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is awesome, Warren!

Glad to hear it.  It’s too bad the advent project fizzled this year.  Maybe you’ll pull them into next year’s calendar.

> I can probably give an entire talk or a series of articles on why the
> context object was problematic and why it was useful. Mickey and I
> spent over 4 full days of hacking to completely remove the context
> object[1]. It was 48 separate commits!

My context() function isn’t the same thing as the D2 Context object.  This article series is a distillation of experience with a D1 app, translated post hoc into D2 code.

I evaluated D2 about a year and a half ago, rejecting it because I couldn’t get something working right.  (I don’t remember what it was.)

I remember deciding to provide a thin mimicry of D2’s old Context object in our D1 code.  Replacing context() in our app with direct DSL calls dropped 400 SLOC, so I guess it wasn’t such a good idea after all. :)