[devtalk] OT - Windows XP Problem

Peter MacGregor ranworth at ranworth.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 12:16:19 BST 2009

Good Afternoon,

I’ve come up against a problem that has me stumped. (Not hard I know!!)
A friend has a Laptop PC which she has been using to view photos that
have been copied to CDs for her by someone else. When the CDs were
initially produced, they ran automatically as a slide show when she put
the disk in the CD Drive. Suddenly, she said that for no obvious reason
this stopped. Not only that, but even using Windows Explorer the disk
wouldn’t run.

Now, I thought “Corrupt Disks”, but when we tried one of her disks in my
PC it ran perfectly. I also tried it in my laptop and again it ran. When
we then tried it again in her laptop the message came up “Generating
Preview” and the thing hung. She said that is now standard on any disk
she has tried. So I then thought “The drive is dying” but I put a disk
of my own in – it ran OK!!! I tried several more of mine and they all
ran OK. Seems it is not the disk-drive either!

The only thing I found as we closed down, was a message that said “Error
WER0094/dir\rundll32.exe.mdmp” I searched Google for that and found a
similar message but with only WER094/….. (A single zero, not two).
Apparently this has both legitimate uses and also appears in some
viruses and similar.

I wondered about copying the file from my PC (we both have WinXP) to
hers, but found I have it in 16 places on my machine, so am not sure
which one would be the best!

Obviously as it is someone else’s machine that works fine otherwise, I’m
reluctant to play around with it too much.

Anyone any ideas please?

Peter MacGregor