[devtalk] Mysterious gremlins!

Peter MacGregor ranworth at ranworth.co.uk
Mon Oct 26 12:00:22 GMT 2009

I produced a web site for our Parish about three years ago. It's been
working fine. Each week the Parish Administrator ( a non-technical
person) uploads our newsletter. She produces it in MSWord for printing
and distribution in church, but also saves a copy as a MSWord Web Page
which she then uploads. So far so good - we've had no problems with over
100 copies being uploaded since the start.

This weekend it's gone haywire. When the newsletter is uploaded, nothing
appears on the site! She sent me (via email) a copy in Word which I
saved as a Word web Page and uploaded using Cute FTP (Same setup as in
the Parish Office). I've examined the files and can't see any reason why
it should not work - but it doesn't! It's the same person, using the
same machine, same template, same FTP, same everything!

When uploading I've watched the Cute script and everything seems fine -
it passes very quickly as it's only a single page document - but does
give the message "File Transfer Complete" at the end as I'd expect.
here's what Cute returns to me in full:

STATUS:>      Getting listing "/public_html"...
COMMAND:>    CWD /public_html
        250 OK. Current directory is /public_html
STATUS:>      PWD skipped. Current folder: "/public_html".
COMMAND:>    PASV
        227 Entering Passive Mode (195,216,196,31,253,156)
COMMAND:>    LIST
STATUS:>      Connecting FTP data socket 195.216.196.31:64924...
        150 Accepted data connection
        226 17 matches total
STATUS:>      Directory listing completed.

Anyone got any clues as to what I might look for? There's nothing to see
now on the site as when it is uploaded she overwrites the last edition -
perfectly reasonably and exactly as she usually does. The site is
www.catholicrushden.org.uk <cid:part1.00040608.08090109 at ranworth.co.uk>
and to access the newsletter scroll down the home page and click on the
link under the picture - which will be coming off shortly; we leave such
major news there for a month then take it down.

Tearing my hair out after spending all morning on this (I have tried
reformatting the doc and still nothing.)

Regards and Thanks,

Peter  MacGregor