[wdvltalk-social] timed content php [also to dev-talk]

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Fri Feb 26 16:55:53 GMT 2010

From: "Christina Lannen"
> 1.  If you can't do it in the WordPress Admin (can't remember at what
> version you could do that) you'll have to manually upgrade it (FTP).  Follow
> the instructions over at wordpress.org.
>
> Who are you hosted with?  Do they use Fantastico or some other installer
> system?  IMPORTANT:  You may not be able to do a manual upgrade depending on
> what they use to do the autoinstaller.  If that is the case I would
> recommend installing WP into a different subdirectory, and then adjust the
> wp-config.php file to match the autoinstaller (database name, password,
> user, db host).

Christina,

It is going to be a bit of a problem all round! The installer is Elephante. But I won't use it as I can't currently do a real upgrade with it.

I'll follow the FTP route - but to do a full install. First I need to remove the current wp install. Now I have looked at the database and I can't see the thing to correct my error, and I can't find a file to put back the route. But worst of all nothing seems to reveal an uninstall option - at risk of giving the program developers a heart attack I would prefer a clean uninstall. Otherwise I'll delete all files and tables.

Then I'll put in the new wp and work on it.

> 2 & 3:  Okay.
>
> 4.  I think you did Settings, General and not Settings, Reading.

It is possible. As I can't get in now to check, or find where it records that, I'll pass on it - but remember I have full qualifications in silly mistakes! ;-)

> 5.  You can't do subdomains off of a single WP install and have it work.
> You'll have to have multiple installs of WP.  I'd recommend using Pages with
> Subpages.

No. I'm not thinking of that. The subdomains would be quite separate from Wordpress and the main content. There are things that are not part of that area that I want to explore and expand. I don't want separate domains for them. I might even move the debt control stuff into one. There is an area of economic future I want to explore too, with others getting involved I hope. But that is not immediate.

First, is there an uninstall that I've missed in searching for it - all I can find relates to plugins.

Joseph