[wdvltalk-social] BIG emrgency - wife's machine limping ;-)

PatrickG wdvlsocl at gandatech.net
Sun Sep 20 02:57:46 BST 2009

joseph harris wrote:
> I've gone to the limits of my technical expertise; thrown it from one side of the room to the other...
>
> The message is 'disable caching and shadowing' - I suspect that even if I could get to something to try that it would not be a good idea.

(replying from a subscribed address this time)

Could be several things. I'll give you my 2 cents worth and maybe
someone with a bit more expertise than me can add to it. :-)

If it were me, I would power the system down, Open the case and re-seat
all of the memory and any boards. Also double check all cables to be
sure they are fully set.
Also make sure all fans are clear and functioning (could just be
overheating).

Other possibilities:
   Failing Memory
   Corrupt startup files (would need the Install CD to fix)

My leaning is towards some type of file corruption, as it generally
shouldn't ask for the install disk to enter safe mode.

HTH,

PatrickG