[wdvltalk-social] is it topmail RIP?

Cheryl D Wise cdwise at wiserways.com
Tue Sep 15 14:20:45 BST 2009

It isn't just nntp but also mail lists and even forums. Css-d, a mail list
used to run close 50-200 emails a day now I rarely get more than 25 and some
days only 10. My Dreamweaver list has over 5,500 members and used to get 40+
messages a day. Now some days we don't get 5. MS basically killed off the
Expression Web newsgroup which was only just getting a decent volume of
posts when they announced it was closing and moving to forums (it is still
there but gets 0-3 new threads a day) and while the forum was picking up a
bit to maybe 10 new threads a day MS came in heavy handed with a code of
conduct that ticked people off removing messages with "damn" in them clearly
used as an expression of frustration so now it is down to only a few new
posts and most of them nothing more than a bitch session bringing up "why
isn't Expression Web like FrontPage" and building my navigation for me.

Other groups have had so little traffic I don't know if they even still
exist. I can only speculate that twitter and Facebook (plus their clones)
have taken over.  Sort of depressing IMHO. While I have grown to like some
things about twitter there is just too much that 140 characters doesn't work
for.

Cheryl D Wise
http://by-expression.com
Twitter: @cdwise