[wdvltalk-social] oh sh*t

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Wed Mar 11 13:15:55 GMT 2009

> Joseph:
>
> I am not some doctrinaire right or left wing ideologue.

;-) I don't accuse you of it - but this is my field....

> I cordially hate all politicians and political solutions
> to crises.......

As Winnie would have put it - they are the worst possible
people for the job, except for all the others...

> At the margin, of course governments should act to
> mitigate the effects of the shambles....

And this is like the real meaning of shambles, with us being
slaughtered.

> Now to address directly some of your points:
>
> 1.Yes there was fraud and probably criminal behaviour
> ( and out of one of the USA funding bills the US
> Congress stripped $75 million for law enforcement )
> [and there are too many for me to keep track of the
> ex current members of Congress in Federal Prison ]

If only it were that simple. There is a fundamental problem
of Company law - I am trying to put the arguments together
in a simple way, but at root there is a 'little Topsy'
element and worship of Mammon that may be the most relevant
things for sorting out. But those who were simply crooks,
fools or charlatans making the bad far, far worse must be
removed.

> 2.As to your next point nothing you say mitigates
> against my points about the banks... in fact in a way
> what you are saying supports my view....ok a
> qualification on that ===== If you believe
> politicians can get it right, MAYBE........

Not a belief in politicians; simply a recognition that
'bankers' - few decsions makers were strictly bankers you
know - have got it so wrong and the system of regulation is
in such disarrray and that the problem is so vast that the
alternatives are weak, costly and ineffective. At least by
keeping the lending side functioning and controlling flows
through it there is some hope of the real economy limping
along through the depression.

> 3.Personally I am a pragmatist, I will go with what
> I know has worked, and part of that is keeping the
> politicians a bargees pole away from everything if
> at all possible.......

;-) alas! Admittedly the career politician is fully open to
corruption and lacks real world experience, but no one else
is steering the ship! Train the blighters... seriouisly the
modern world is too complex to sort itself out by some
magical market process. That is just another way of saying
give it to the bullies and thieves. All law is regulation of
one sort or another, the thieves and crooks have been buying
their way into the process for too long.

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> On a lighter note: in the rain delays from the cricket
> I accidentally flicked through Fox News ( that by the
> way should be regarded as 'crude and unusual
> punishment ) but it got me reflecting on oxymoron's:
>
> So here goes........
>
> 19thC
>
> Military Intelligence
>
> Womens' Logic

I leave the ladies to respond to the second ;-) but may I
add bankers' caution

> 20thC
>
> Country and Western Music
>
> Poetical Integrity

Hey! I write funny poetry.

> Business Ethics

Ah yes; write down how you intend to stick it to 'em, and
then pretend it is the word of God...

> 21st C
>
> Starbucks Coffee

Indeed - add Nero, Costa and all the other purveyors of
cheap burnt beans

> Fox News

I do not see it, but there seems a general agreement outside
Bush supporters.... We see Sky news from time to time, but
there seems more time on ads than news - awful; give me the
BBC, warts and all, any day.