[wdvltalk-social] broadband access

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 14:32:40 GMT 2008

On 03/26/2008 02:46 PM, joseph harris wrote:
> Our problem is we can't use wireless.

Why?

>  We are uncertain about
> having distribution through the mains wiring;

Never used it, but I've heard reports that it works reasonably well
(although I think they have to be on the same circuit, and the signal
can struggle with certain "noisy" appliances plugged in).

> and the points of
> connection [inbound and computer positions] are too far apart to
> think that ethernet wires are a good option.   And that is apart
> from the difficulty of fixing the wiring round, and how it would
> look and the hazards it might cause.

Ethernet can reach a fairly long way with no problems; if it's a very
long run you might need a repeater in the middle to boost the signal (an
el-cheapo hub or switch will do the job for that).

> I am sure it is possible to have each computer pick up via its
> own modem [I already have them - SmartAX 882 - due to failed
> attempts!], but the question is what problems not having a common
> router might cause - if any.

Nope, you cannot have more than one ADSL modem on the same telephone
line, it just won't work.

Cheers

Dave P