[wdvltalk-social] broadband access

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Wed Mar 26 14:46:23 GMT 2008

Christine,

Thanks for responding.

Our problem is we can't use wireless.   We are uncertain about
having distribution through the mains wiring;   and the points of
connection [inbound and computer positions] are too far apart to
think that ethernet wires are a good option.   And that is apart
from the difficulty of fixing the wiring round, and how it would
look and the hazards it might cause.

I am sure it is possible to have each computer pick up via its
own modem [I already have them - SmartAX 882 - due to failed
attempts!], but the question is what problems not having a common
router might cause - if any.

Each machine must be separately identified anyway, and so though
all signals would come to both machines they should be filtered
successfully.   On the other hand would signals out, if leaving
at the same time risk being confused, or are the packets secure
from that - since packets wander round by the billion it seems
unlikely to cause a problem?

I wonder if anyone actually knows, or if it is safe to
experiment!

Joseph