[wdvltalk-social] ethenet link problem

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Wed Apr 16 10:54:24 BST 2008

From: "Joe Fawcett"

> Set up internet connection sharing on one machine. Then access
> the internet
> on the second machine using the first as a gateway. Possibly
> very slow
> service if you're still on dial up, thought you'd moved to
> broadband?
>
> Joe Fawcett
> http://joe.fawcett.name

Hi Joe,

Yes, we have moved to broadband, hence the problem.   A two-way
split for two machines on dial-up is a doddle, with two-way links
readily available.

With your suggestion I can see [and use] the ethernet into the
first computer, but what would I link the machines with/through?
[I suppose it makes a subsidiary or mini-LAN?]

Though I like to put the first computer into 'sleep' when I'm not
using for longish spells - I suppose I'd have to stop that?

I thought computers were supposed to make life easier   ;-).

Joseph