[wdvltalk-social] ethenet link problem

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Tue Apr 15 17:43:17 BST 2008

From: "Matthew Macdonald-Wallace"
> Quoting joseph harris <smilepoet at vfemail.net>:
>
>> There are moments when I am convinced I live in a parallel
>> world
>> and no one can hear me scream...
>>
>> Right - one access point, two computers;   is there a divider
>> so
>> both computers can access the line through this one point?   I
>> look in vain on the net, in wikipedia, in magazines, aye even
>> into the heavens above [but they're still on dial up].
>
> You've got a choice between a network hub/switch:
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132456
>
> and plugging the computers into each port with another cable
> going to
> your ADSL router
>
> _OR_
>
> If you haven't got an ADSL router:
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132455
>
> Plug the Phone-line into one socket, the computers in to two
> more and
> bingo! you're ready to go...
>
> Cheers,
>
> M.
>

> --
> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
> matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
> GPG KEY:
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFEA1BC16

Matt,

I have two routers [courtesy of talktalk the failfail] and one is
doing its job at the 'in' point.   This is plugged to the
electric wiring and picked up every day in two positions;   no
problem.

But we have another computer by one pickup;  so the need is for
two computers to use the one plug - equivalent I suppose to a
router outlet.

Just as one can have a two, three or more connection adapter on a
telephone line, is there a two-way adapter for an ethernet?
Since the two machines now arrive at the router down one wire I
can't see there is a problem in doing this two-way thing for the
LAN from one pick up plug.

There must surely be a way to do it?

Joseph