[wdvltalk-social] aanndd........

Cheryl D Wise cdwise at wiserways.com
Sun Dec 16 02:54:43 GMT 2007

It depends what part of the country you are in. Chains are discouraged for
normal driving in cities since most of the ones in high snow areas the
highway department is pretty good at getting anti-ice chemicals and traction
adding sand down quickly.

Most of the time when you see those slip sliding videos it is in places like
Houston where they get a ice or snow storm every 3-10 years. I cringe at the
thought of having to drive in Houston when we have a rare real winter storm.
I remember a few years back staying at a friend's after a Christmas party.
The next morning I walked out and there was 2-3 inches of snow on the
ground, ice on my windshield and still snowing lightly. So I start my car,
turn on the defroster and reached in my glove box for an ice scraper. After
the defroster loosened the ice I took the scraper and started cleaning my
windshield. A guy walked out of my friend's condo complex towards his car
parked a couple down from mine. When he got even with me he called out,
"hey, that's kewl - what do you call that thing?" After I told him the next
question was "where do you get something like that?".

I spent the remaining few minutes while my car finished warming up with my
map figuring out a way to avoid the major roads getting home since I've seen
too many Mr. Toad's Wild Rides from people cruising along on the freeway
only to slam on their brakes when they get to the ice covered overpasses.

Cheryl D Wise