[dancer-users] How do I call a script from a template?

John J. McDermott, CPLP jjm at jkintl.com
Thu Apr 30 20:32:00 BST 2015

On 4/30/2015 12:49 PM, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-04-29 at 16:12 -0600, John J. McDermott, CPLP wrote:
>> In a template I invoke (successfully) from a Dancer2 path I have some
>> jquery that works outside Dancer2:
>> $.post('/data1.pl',data,function(returnData){
>>         $('#func').html(returnData)
>>
>> This code calls data1.pl and stuff its output into the div func.
>>
>> I know data1.pl works in a non-Dancer2 environment. But I cannot
>> figure out where to put data1.pl so it can be run from the template.
> Surely the "correct" way of doing this is to rewrite data1.pl into your
> main Dancer app, as its own route? Is there any reason that you cannot
> do that?
Well I have a page accessed through a template. Let's call the template
x.tt. Now I want to somehow change the content of a div on that page. I
know how to do that. But the code is perl. If I redirect through another
route, it will reload the page or potentially have other issues as it
only returns a brief string (i.e) not JSON, or am I incorrect?

>>  I tried just putting it in the dancer public (where the css folder,
>> dispatch.cgi and such are), but that didn't work.
> I would keep it out of there, as it's nothing to do with Dancer.
>
>>  I tried even to run it from the browser command line and the browser
>> wants to download it. The directory has +ExecCGI and Dancer2 runs.
> If you have to keep it separate to Dancer, then that's the way to do it.
> Put it in a completely separate area of your web server, and ensure it
> can be executed as its own independent script.
>
> If the browser is trying to download it, then something is wrong with
> your webserver configuration. I'm sure people will be happy to try and
> assist, but that is not a Dancer problem, it is a generic web/perl
> problem.
Hmmm, the Dancer part is "where to executables go that can be called via
a browser viewing a Dancer-generated template?

Thanks!
--john

> Andy

John J. McDermott, CPLP
Learning and Performance Consultant
jjm at jkintl.com 575/737-8556
Check out my security blog posts <http://cybersecurity.learningtree.com>
Add an A for the Arts To STEM and get STEAM and a strong engine to move
forward.