[dancer-users] broken images on the dancefloor?

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 15:04:49 BST 2014

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:11:44 +0200
Sawyer X <xsawyerx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately we don't automatically check these things.
>
> I recently removed a website because it wasn't working anymore and we
> had no idea.
>
> Paging Mr. Precious, what do you think? I don't mind writing the
> code, but the deployment is not automatic anymore, as it seems. I
> think it used to be by hook but every time I tried it recently, it
> failed. Any comment?

Hmm - I think perhaps the best way would be a cron job that checks all
the sites in dancefloor.yml once a day and emails if any are
unreachable so we can remove them if they look to be gone for good.
I'm not sure we'd want to do the checking in the site itself as it
could delay the page load too much, and I'm not sure we'd want them
automatically removed from the list as it could just be a temporary
outage - for instance, Lyrics Badger was down but should be back up
after DNS propagation.