[dancer-users] Dancer2 Release Cycles and Feature/Bugfix Release Planning

Sawyer X xsawyerx at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 20:27:33 BST 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM, burnersk <dancer at failmail.de> wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> I was wondering recently when the feature X or the bug Y will be fixed. So
> I try to look up it in the GitHub Milestones[1]. I saw that milestones was
> used but starting from 0.14100 there was no progress at all with milestones
> (progress with issues itself was made of course).

Alberto was the unofficial milestone manager. When he became busy, we had
to let that go, because none of us were as stubborn as he was to make sure
it happens and works. :)

> For me as a developer milestones are nice because I can see what is on the
> schedule for the next release. From the user point I can see when my
> beloved feature X or hated bug Y is going to be fixed.
>
> I think GitHub Milestones are a great way to communicate to developers and
> users at the same time.

Agreed.

> So I asked on #dancer if there where any plans to proceed with release
> planning based on GitHub Milestones.
>
> It turns out that the intention was there but time was missing to organize.

And a person stubborn and rude enough to say "you're going to be working on
this for the next release because it is urgent for people" but also
welcoming enough to feedback saying "it's not that urgent, but this is
actually more urgent" or "this will take us longer to achieve".

Alberto did that very well. :)

I'm not sure that this is true but I had in mind, that the Dancer2 release
> cycle supposed to be 2 weeks. So that every second week there will be a new
> release with new great features and fixed bugs.

Yup!

If there are urgent bug fixes, there is no particular reason not to make an
urgent release.

> I'd like to check with all of you folks, developers or users, if you want
> this or not. Please discuss this idea.
>
> I can imagine the following "process".
>
> [...]

That sounds really serious. It's one hell of a job you did there!

Great initiative. You have my blessing. :)

Thank you.