[Dancer-users] Logging and "info"

Flavio Poletti polettix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 21:31:01 CEST 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Ovid <curtis_ovid_poe at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Pull request submitted:
> https://github.com/sukria/Dancer/pull/765
>
> The only open question is this bit in Dancer::Logger::Abstract:
>
>     my $levels = {
>
>         # levels < 0 are for core only
>         core => -10,
>
>         # levels > 0 are for end-users only
>         debug   => 1,
>         warn    => 2,
>         warning => 2,
>         error   => 3,
>         info    => 4,
>     };

The meaning of "info" in Log::Log4perl is something between a debug message
and a warning, so it should have weight 1.5 in the table above (if it makes
sense, of course). I'm not telling that this is the way to go, just that a
well established module in the Perl ecosystem assigns a different semantic
to the info log level and this might lead to confusion.

Just to do some blatant self-promotion, if you need additional log levels
you can take a look at Dancer::Logger::Log4perl and use e.g.
Log::Log4perl's methods provided with the :easy mode of operation (i.e.
TRACE/DEBUG/INFO/WARN/ERROR/FATAL/ALWAYS, the last being probably what you
mean by "info").

Regards,

   Flavio.