[Dancer-users] Recent Build requirement breaks 5.8.x installs

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Tue May 31 18:32:52 CEST 2011

On Tuesday 31 May 2011 17:25:24 Lee Carmichael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was in the process of upgrading to Dancer 1.3051 on one machine that
> runs Perl 5.8 and it failed due to build requirement of
> 'Tie::Hash::NamedCapture'. This was added to Perl in 5.10.  The main
> headache for me is that it broke the 'cpan install Dancer' command.
> But it didn't stop me from updating dancer by hand.
>
> I hate to be the one asking for support on an dated language version
> but i guess i am :) Should I open a bug for this or is the forward
> direction of Dance away from 5.8?

We don't want to break compatibility with 5.8.x if we can possibly help it; we
realise that there are plenty of users still stuck on 5.8.x, for whatever
reason.

I'll take a look in to that and see where the requirement comes from, and see
if we can work round it.

If we depend on it for certain features, such as being able to use captures()
to get params by name, we should just throw a warning at runtime if we're on
an older Perl, but let everything else still work.

--
David Precious  ("bigpresh")
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

   "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
   it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)