[Dancer-users] Exploring Best Practices for Route Definition

J. Bobby Lopez jbl at jbldata.com
Wed May 4 21:42:19 CEST 2011

Hello Dancers,

I recently asked a question on #dancer regarding how to deal with trailing
slashes on routes.  There was a brief discussion which resulted, and I've
copied the the discussion below in order to get some more input on the
matter.

(with permission from gnusosa) please see the discussion below:

----------irc.perl.org------#dancer------------------------
14:54 < jbl> curious how others treat the difference between 'route' and
'route/' in dancer. I'm often using
'/some/route', but then if a user tries to access the app with
http://site.com/some/route/' (with the trailing
slash) it gives a 404 by default. What's the usual cure for this problem?
14:55 < gnusosa> jbl: Good Question.
14:59 < gnusosa> jbl: This is going to happen since the slash "/" is the one
that difference the route from the route/
15:02 < jbl> right
15:03 < jbl> I'm just wondering if I should add a wildcard or redirect to
catch trailing slashes, or if there is a setting
somewhere that checks if there are no other characters after the slash, to
just treat it as base route
15:03 < jbl> not sure I'm being clear on that :\
15:04 < jbl> I think I saw the use of regexs for routes somewhere, that
might be a good option
15:06 < jbl> to do something like: get '/myroute[/]*$'
15:07 < jbl> or maybe even just strip the trailing slashes using a 'before'
statement
15:07 < gnusosa> jbl: Probably.
15:07 < jbl> curse of tmtowtdi
15:08 < gnusosa> jbl: But all of these seems like too much hassle.
15:08 < gnusosa> jbl: What is the problem with sending some people to 404 :P

15:10 < jbl> I guess that if the URL doesn't have an extension "/route.cgi"
then some people (maybe just me) may feel that
  URL is incomplete/incorrect/odd somehow. I guess they could go to a 404 if
they type in the URL manually
15:11 < jbl> no real harm in that as long as the real URL works
15:11 < jbl> just feels off
15:11 < gnusosa> jbl: umm I understand now.
15:12 < jbl> and I remember at some point (back in the day) it was good
practice to end URLs with a slash, if it wasn't
going to a 'file'
15:16 < gnusosa> jbl: You should email the mailing list
dancer-users at perldancer.org with this issue. Best practices in the
routes are a big deal.