[Dancer-users] Runtime error having to do with hooks (which I don't use)

Brian E. Lozier brian at massassi.com
Thu Jun 9 17:06:19 CEST 2011

I tracked this down to a "before_template" sub that I have defined:

before_template sub {
    my $tokens = shift;

    $tokens->{'is_logged_in'} ||= is_logged_in();
    $tokens->{'is_secure'}    ||= request->secure();
};

If I comment this out everything keeps running across multiple
requests (but obviously my app isn't working properly with this stuff
missing).  I tried to change this to:

hook before_template sub {
    my $tokens = shift;

    $tokens->{'is_logged_in'} ||= is_logged_in();
    $tokens->{'is_secure'}    ||= request->secure();
};

But then I can't even start my app.pl:

brian at lerris ~/projects/fan/bin$ plackup fan.pl
Error while loading fan.pl: something's wrong at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.12.2/Dancer.pm line 126
Compilation failed in require at fan.pl line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at fan.pl line 5.
brian at lerris ~/projects/fan/bin$

This is weird because Dancer.pm line 126 is this:

sub hook            { Dancer::Hook->new(@_) }

I traced the "new" on Dancer::Hook up to
Dancer::Object::Singleton::new which croaks in all circumstances (and
Dancer::Hook doesn't have its own "new").

sub new {
    my ($class) = @_;
    croak "you can't call 'new' on $class, as it's a singleton. Try to
call 'instance'";
}

However, if I was hitting this I would expect to get the message from
"croak" here which I'm not seeing so I must be tracing this wrong.

My app.pl (fan.pl) looks like this:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use Dancer;

use Fan::Web::Root;
use Fan::Web::Forum;

dance();

I think there is something weird with the new "hooks" functionality
because in an older version of Dancer I was able to run under plackup
directly like this (without Shotgun).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian