[Dancer-users] Confused on error reporting

Stephen Fenwick-Paul stephen at activeg.org
Thu Jul 7 21:36:57 CEST 2011

Thanks for the replies. I think I've not explained myself well.

I don't expect the backtrace to be shown or any internal error in production
mode, but I do need to be able to pass back to users of the system some
meaningful message on why their called failed.

Such as "Sorry we have experienced a system failure - please try again
later. Your problem has need reported" for a 500, or "Sorry you have not
sent the mandatory argument 'type'" or "Sorry, the argument 'ditsance' is
not understood." for a 400.

How do I get such messages back to the caller, be it a web page, or
most problematically a RESTful user using JSON and still re ponded with a
meaningful code.

I could catch all errors, and send back a nice HTML or JSON object, but my
response would be a 200 which seems wrong.

At present the poor user can not tell why his requests are failing.

thanks again for an guidance.

Stephen