[Dancer-users] Dancer::Template::Markdown

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 15:50:32 CET 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 5:29 AM, sawyer x <xsawyerx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following a slip-up of BooK on our IRC channel, I've created
> Dancer::Template::Markdown.
>
> Basically this allows you to write Markdown files and have them rendered by
> Dancer's template engine automatically.
>
> My question to all of you is: should I upload this to CPAN?
>
> Why yes:
> - It allows people to write their website in Markdown.
> - I could write an article around it for the Advent Calendar.
> - It could add to the Dancer myth of "if you even suggest an idea for an
> engine (session, template, serializer), it will probably already be on CPAN
> when you wake up the next morning"
>
> Why not:
> - Simply because Markdown is only a text syntax. It's not a template engine.
> You cannot put variables, loops, conditions and other template stuff in it.
> It will only be useful if you have static content written in Markdown. It's
> not really a "::Template". Where else would you otherwise put it? Then
> again, being able to offload the entire rendering to Dancer sure is a plus.
>
> Your views?

The plugin is a great idea.... I use a rather customized version of
Markdown myself. What is misleading is to put it in the "Template"
namespace. A template implies substitution of tokens of some kind with
real data. Markdown is really a rendering engine. Perhaps a
Dancer::Render::Markdown, so we can eventually have stuff like
Dancer::Render::XML, Dancer::Render::PDF, Dancer::Render::whatever

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org