[Dancer-users] Adding quick_insert / quick_update to Dancer::Plugin::Database - done

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 20:09:05 CET 2010

Hi all,

Just a follow-up from the previous mail about this; I've now added the new
quick_insert /quick_update / quick_delete features, and released 0.12_01 as a
developer version to CPAN, to check that the tests all pass on a wide variety
of systems.

(I'm aware of test failures on Windows systems; this isn't a bug in
D::P::Database, but I've added a workaround (just creating
t/lib/{public,views/lib}) and tested this against a Windows VM and it passes
tests and works correctly.)

The new developer release can be found on CPAN:
http://search.cpan.org/~bigpresh/Dancer-Plugin-Database-0.12_01

Basically, the way I've implemented the change is that the database() keyword,
instead of returning a DBI connection handle (a DBI::db object), now returns a
Dancer::Plugin::Database::Handle object.  This is a subclass of DBI::db, so it
is still a usable DBI database connection handle, and can be used in exactly
the same ways it would have before, but adds a few features.

These are documented in the POD for Dancer::Plugin::Database::Handle[0].

I'm aware of a couple of minor typos in the docs, which I've already fixed in
my branch[1].

I'll wait to see some tester reports to check it passes tests, and would
appreciate anyone who has time to try it out and provide feedback, but I'm
confident it's stable and works.

I'll release a new stable version with these changes soon; I'm as-yet
undecided whether to release 0.13, or bump to 1.00 to signify that
Dancer::Plugin::Database is mature and tested enough to rely on in production
code. (I think some people see version numbers < 1 as a "watch out, this isn't
ready for primetime!" warning.)

[0] http://search.cpan.org/~bigpresh/Dancer-Plugin-
Database-0.12_01/lib/Dancer/Plugin/Database/Handle.pm
[1] https://github.com/bigpresh/Dancer-Plugin-Database/tree/extendedfeatures

Cheers

Dave P