[Dancer-users] Questions for Perl Survey

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 11:48:47 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 11:45 AM, sawyer x <xsawyerx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You could try and add a value of "thin PSGI layer" or something like
> that,
> > but that should garnish probably the lowest of them all, so maybe not
> worth
> > it.
>
> You might be right but we can't really know that. If it gets 0.5% now
> and 2.5% a
> year from now then we might have some indication there. Without the first
> number the second will be a lot less meaningful.

I'm not expecting this number to rise, since it's mostly for experts that
prefer no abstraction whatsoever.

My issues is that I have no idea what "thin PSGI layer" means.
> Explanations or links would be welcome.

Dancer provides a thin layer above PSGI and abstraction for some of the work
a user would have to do manually (sessions, templating, finding out what
type of HTTP method it is, setting the content type, etc.). You (or rather,
Dancer, if that's what you're using) provide PSGI with an app handler
subroutine. For example:

  sub app {
      my $env = shift;
      return [
          '200',
          [ 'Content-Type' => 'text/plain' ],
          [ "Hello World" ], # or IO::Handle-like object

      ];
  }

How many people would do that? Very few.