[Dancer-users] problem sending mail

Naveed Massjouni naveedm9 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 10:36:37 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 4:20 AM, David Precious <davidp at preshweb.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Naveed,
>
> On Tuesday 20 April 2010 09:26:26 Naveed Massjouni wrote:
>> When I try to send mail from within a route, I get:
>>
>> error when closing pipe to sendmail: No child processes
>> Trace begun at
>>  /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/Email/Sender/Transport/Sendmail.pm line 77
>>
>> On line 77 of Sendmail.pm it is just closing a file handle:
>> close $pipe or Email::Sender::Failure->throw("error when closing pipe
>> to sendmail: $!");
>
> Hmm, I see no reason that Dancer should prevent that working.
>
>> I was just wondering if this was a bug in Dancer or if I'm doing
>> something wrong.
>
> I can't think of a reason for that to fail when used from Dancer.
>
> Are both scripts running on the same system, as the same user etc?
>
> Are you able to share the scripts, so we can have a poke around in the
> debugger?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave P
>

> --
> David Precious <davidp at preshweb.co.uk>
> http://blog.preshweb.co.uk/    www.preshweb.co.uk/twitter
> www.preshweb.co.uk/linkedin    www.preshweb.co.uk/facebook
> www.preshweb.co.uk/identica    www.lyricsbadger.co.uk
>
>  "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
>  it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)

Here is the dancer script:

---

#!/usr/bin/perl
use Dancer;
use Email::Sender::Simple;
use Email::Simple;

get '/email' => sub {
    my $success = Email::Sender::Simple->send(Email::Simple->create(
        header => [
            To      => 'naveedm9 at gmail.com',
            From    => 'foo at bar.com',
            Subject => 'hello',
        ],
    ));
    return $success ? 'good job' : 'failed';
};

dance;

---

The email actually does get sent when someone visits that route.  But
I get a huge Route Handler Error on the browser with a stack trace.
Can you try that code and see if it works for you?

Thanks,
Naveed