[wdvltalk-social] timed content php [also to dev-talk]

smile-poetry smile-poetry at vfemail.net
Thu Feb 25 12:44:44 GMT 2010

Okay, I've settled on Wordpress because it is the simplest option technically - and well supported. I have also gone for a rather clunky theme - Typograph.

I want to add a daily fact and there is a convenient tabbed box on the right, and I am adapting the 'about' tab. Below is the script for that.

I will need to have a script to pick up the day's info from tables - that much I remember! But I have no easy recall of how to get from here to what I'm aiming for.

I plan a second part to it to pick up a saying or one liner from a table too, possibly randomly.

I'm not sure if there might be a chron way to this, or whether I'd need a chron set up anyway! All advice welcome.

Joseph

Here is the script:

    <ul>
     <?php list_cats(); ?>
    </ul>
    <h4>today is Typograph wpTheme</h4>
    <h1><a href="<?php bloginfo('url'); ?>/rss" title="Subscribe to the <?php bloginfo('name') ?> RSS Feed" rel="rss">Subscribe to my feed</a></h1>

And here the change to the box name ['Cats' is a shortening to stop the tabs turning]:

   <ul>
   </ul>

[soon I'll need to understand RSS! and other feeds]

Joseph Harris