[wdvltalk-social] oh sh*t ##

michael ensor edc at wnc.quik.co.nz
Wed Mar 11 21:49:11 GMT 2009

hehe. I knew that you would come round to my way of thinking.....
hence I believe my solution 2 is demonstrated.....

or to put it another way, one of the major problems the
system has is lack of transparency. If there was compulsory
disclosure then everyone would know where they stood,
with discovery the hopeless cases could be put into
administration whilst the merely terrible ones could be
seen to be viable and the system could begin
functioning more freely.......

Two thoughts:

[i] Company shareholders should have more power to control
boards (not the CEO)

[ii] The business of banking is buying money at one price and
selling it at another......anything else is peripheral

and finally I well remember watching a Congressional hearing on
CNBC some three years ago  interrogating bankers.......implying
that home ownership was practically a constitutional right and
demanding to know what  banks were going to do to increase their
lending to those who wanted to get into a home.....

the roots of the present crisis lie firmly in the political arena and
I mistrust the ability of that same constituency to come up with
a solution.......

[and as an aside, as a former bank credit manager, I had been
for years pointing out to all who would listen, the risks involved in
'excessive' home lending.......over ten years ago!  and that has
nothing to do with the CDO's etc, simply the inherent risk. to the
institutions involved....... not all securitisation is bad and while the
current instruments have added another layer of complexity and
uncertain recourse, the fact is that the economic basis for the
home lending was not there and the banks' ( and other mortgage
originators ) risk profiles were distorted and damaged by the surge
in lending OR to put it simply even without the CDO's etc there
would still have been a crisis..... (:  ]