[wdvltalk-social] wiki problem - ideas sought......

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Wed Apr 1 02:00:58 BST 2009

Well, even the new [devtalk] has elicited no response for me
;-). So I bring this here; any thoughts welcome:

For those it might help...

When I put in the wiki I followed the recommendation to
leave it easy to amend, i.e. no registration. Of course this
means that around or over 350MB of spamming - some quite
pointless [unless these were false links] - got in in the
period I have been unable to keep tabs.

These all seemed to be on Main Page, or index.php, so I
assume spidering; although I started blocking it is clear
that new IP addresses are taken as the clock ticks.

While I have been taking lines out of the _text table
seemingly without reducing the size on the server I assume
the only bright course is to start again. Perhaps
fortunately I had created only around 100 pages so apart
from being a PItB that seems a good move. Any cautions?

Is this a weakness in Mediawiki? It is the script for
Wikipedia, so I wouldn't have thought so. And any advice on
the right 'hoop-jumping through' to introduce?

Joseph

From: "joseph-harris"