[wdvltalk-social] broadband access

Joe Fawcett joefawcett at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:48:22 GMT 2008

From: "joseph harris" <smilepoet at vfemail.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:59 PM
To: "Web development and beer" <wdvltalk-social at wdvltalk-social.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [wdvltalk-social] broadband access

> Thanks Dave -  you're quite sure about the 'only one modem'
> thing?  <wanders off, sulking>
>
> Joseph
>
> From: "David Precious"
>
>> On 03/26/2008 02:46 PM, joseph harris wrote:
>>> Our problem is we can't use wireless.
>>
>> Why?
>>

>>>  We are uncertain about
>>> having distribution through the mains wiring;
>>
>> Never used it, but I've heard reports that it works reasonably
>> well
>> (although I think they have to be on the same circuit, and the
>> signal
>> can struggle with certain "noisy" appliances plugged in).
>>

>>> and the points of
>>> connection [inbound and computer positions] are too far apart
>>> think that ethernet wires are a good option.   And that is
>>> apart
>>> from the difficulty of fixing the wiring round, and how it
>>> would
>>> look and the hazards it might cause.
>>
>> Ethernet can reach a fairly long way with no problems; if it's
>> a very
>> long run you might need a repeater in the middle to boost the
>> signal (an
>> el-cheapo hub or switch will do the job for that).
>>

>>> I am sure it is possible to have each computer pick up via its
>>> own modem [I already have them - SmartAX 882 - due to failed
>>> attempts!], but the question is what problems not having a
>>> common
>>> router might cause - if any.
>>
>> Nope, you cannot have more than one ADSL modem on the same
>> telephone
>> line, it just won't work.
>>

>> Cheers
>>
>> Dave P

> (This is via the new sever, lyla)

My brother had problems with wireless due to the building's structure and
has used the power lines to implement a network successfully.
As David points out you definitely can't have two independent connections to
an ISP over the same phone line.

Joe
http://joe.fawcett.name

Joe Fawcett (MVP - XML)