[wdvltalk-social] OT File Assocaition - Help

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 13:33:31 BST 2008

On 07/21/2008 01:33 PM, joseph harris wrote:
> I have a file inadvertently saved with a .eu suffix, and I cannot get
> any program to open it.   It may be a photocopy of a letter, but it
> may be something more unique.
>
> Albeit it is fairly important to open it to check its contents.   Is
> there any way of opening it to find out what the suffix should be?
> I have tried adding a number of suffixes but so far no luck.

Perhaps open it in a text editor and look for any strings which give
clues as to what it is?

On *nix systems, I would just use the 'file' command, which is rather
good at determining what a file is (file extensions mean very little to
proper systems ;) )

If you want me to tell you what the 'file' command has to say about it,
feel free to send me a copy off-list.

Cheers

Dave P