[wdvltalk-social] ethenet link - update

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 11:04:14 BST 2008

joseph harris wrote:
> I have finally found the words  ;-).    I need a switch or hub
> [ethernet] at a low, low price.   I need three ports - so far I
> have found NETGEAR FS608 - Switch - 8 ports - EN, Fast EN -
> 10Base-T, 100Base-TX for about £24 [$50+] and 5-ports for a pound
> more.
>
> ?more ports less money?  Huh?

Personally, I tend to use the value range from ebuyer/dabs - if you're
not networking a shedload of machines and expecting top performance
they'll easily do the job.  I have a couple of dabsvalue switches I
bought years ago that are still doing their job perfectly :)

Something like this would do the job for you:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132456

5 port 10/100 switch for a fiver, can't complain :)

Don't bother paying more for a gig-E switch, as you're never gonna get
gigabit speeds over the mains power adaptor thingies you're using :)