[wdvltalk-social] A riddle

joseph harris smilepoet at vfemail.net
Sun Nov 11 11:42:11 GMT 2007

From: "Joe Fawcett"
From: "joseph harris"
> Hey, this is a time for sympathy.   No really.    I mean would
> you like it?    Ahaha...   OOps!
>
> ;-)    And remember - to almost be serious - that it bodes
> badly
> for the international economy.     Oh woe, woe, woe...
>
> Cassandra Joe

It certainly is bad in many ways but what I don't understand is
why the
price of petrol has risen to over £1.00 per litre in England?
Barrels of oil
are quoted in dollars so why hasn't the price beeen offset by the
weak
dollar?

Joe
http://joe.fawcett.name

Ah!   You spotted that too  ;-).    I think that the price has
risen so much that the increases may actually reflect the weak $
too.    Of course our Gordon has his greedy mitts on our petrol
tanks too, so with a 1p [2.4old d for those who care about real
money] on the price of petrol Gordon's take is another 4p or 5p.
And I didn't follow if he was imposing the new tax hike on that
or not either.

[all from memory...]   so if the barrel price has risen from
around $20 to around $100 and the $ has weakened by 50% in two
years we are still looking at a possible doubling from the price
of around 74p at the pump.   [what's that in the real world
measure of gallons - and that's the UK gallon, not the pale US
imitation of 16 ounces to the pint!]

Now that I'm thinking about it more up to a couple of years ago
the exchange was moving round $1.50 to the pound, so on a longer
term basis the change is only about 30% lower.

To throw another spanner in the works  ;-)...    I had read that
the reason for invading Iraq was because he was about to do a
deal with the EU to sell his oil in Euros.   I am not sure if all
oil is still sold in $.    If you were selling it today what
would you choose  ??

And there is another implication for our economies.   It both
gives an international currency strength and status to be the
unit of measure for resources and it costs a bit to maintain
that.   If there is loss or threat of loss of such an important
role the main exchange currency will change [just as the $ took
over from the Pound Sterling, now ignominiously written as GBP]
and the loser will be rocky on the 'free' exhanges.

With such an integrated world economy it needs one excahnge
currency so if a changeover is happening that will cause a wee
bitty turmoil, too.

Want to buy some Yuan?

Joseph