[dancer-users] Best way to log from wherever?

Aaron Hall ahall at vitaphone.net
Fri Jan 8 03:23:21 EST 2021

On Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 11:12:11AM +0000, Andrew Beverley wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 02:06:59 -0600 Aaron Hall wrote:
>> What is the current thinking on the "best" or "right" way to log from
>> all parts of your program?
>
>My preferred way is to use Log::Report throughout applications. There
>is no dependency on Dancer, so you can use consistent logging
>in all your modules, and then there is a Dancer plugin which integrates
>with the Dancer logging ecosystem.

Hi Andy, thanks for the pointer, and thanks for the advice to read
Dancer2::Plugin::LogReport first. LogReport definitely looks versatile.
I wouldn't use nearly everything it offers, but that's probably true for
them all. Anyone else want to stump for their favorite engine? :)

More generally, it seems like the idea is: pick a log engine, use its
Dancer integration in the Dancer parts of your app, and use the log
engine's native APIs elsewhere. Do I understand correctly?

- Aaron

--
Aaron Hall           I do quarrel with logic that says, "Stupid people
vitaphone.net        are associated with X, therefore X is stupid."