[dancer-users] Call to all Dancer2 plugin writers

Stefan Hornburg (Racke) racke at linuxia.de
Tue Oct 13 10:19:46 BST 2015

On 10/12/2015 05:05 PM, Yanick Champoux wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Underneath the surface, I've been toiling away at a new plugin system
> for Dancer2. This new system aims at fixing a few of the thorny issues
> of the current one, and add a wee bit of unicorn dust to the mix.
>
> ## For plugin users, the changes are:
>
>     * No change! The new plugins will be called the same way
>         as the old ones -- it'll be transparent to you if a
>         plugin is new gen or old gen. Isn't that music to your
>         ears, or what? :-)
>
>     * No change! Plugins using the new system can work side-by-side
>         with original plugins. It's all really transparent to you.
>         Relax, we're taking care of everything. :-)
>
> ## For plugin writers, the changes are:
>
>     * The new system inherit from Dancer2::Plugin2 (yes, I know, we just
>         loooove that '2' digit around here...).
>
>     * The new system is much more OO-based, which so far makes for
> 	cleaner, easier to write plugins.
>
>     * The new system doesn't export the Dancer keywords into the plugin
>         namespace. It removes a little bit of the sugar (you'll have to
>         do `$self->app->request` instead of `request()` inside
>         the plugin module), but it makes much more explicit what is the
>         plugin class, and what is the plugin instance associated
> 	with an app.
>
>     * Plugin can now use other plugins!
>
>     * The list of plugin instances are also kept as an attribute in
> 	the app object, which makes introspection possible (a
> 	plugin, for example, can check if other plugin A is
> 	already loaded or not and do things in consequence).
>

> ## What do I want from you?
>
> Before unleashing D2::P2, it needs to be tested. Racke already migrated
> two of his plugins to D2::P2
> (https://github.com/PerlDancer/Dancer2/wiki/Plugins-migrated-to-D2::P2).
> I would like for all of you to try to migrate your plugins, and report
> if it was a success, or if you uncovered some sore points.
>
> How to do that? I'm glad you asked:
>
> 1. clone and use the Dancer2 branch at
> https://github.com/yanick/Dancer2/tree/plugins-yanick
>
> 2. read the D2::P2 docs (`perldoc lib/Dancer2/Plugin2`)
>
> 3. if docs are not sufficient, check examples (`/t/plugins2-*`) and the
>     already-ported modules at bullet #5 below.
>
> 4. report all problems, head-scratchers, suggestions, etc to
>     https://github.com/PerlDancer/Dancer2/pull/1010#issuecomment-147376270
>
> 5. you ported the plugin and all works? Post your victory to the PR
> dicussion
>     at #4, and add your plugin to the list at
>     https://github.com/PerlDancer/Dancer2/wiki/Plugins-migrated-to-D2::P2
>     (that's important, I'll set up a job to test any new tweaks on
>    D2::P2 to all the converted modules)
>
> And, of course, you have questions or anything, please feel free to hit
> me with'em.

A few remarks:

1. Dancer2::Plugin::DBIC is actually ironcamel's module.

2. Plugins based on Plugin2 can not use plugins based on Plugin(1).

3. Tests are going to be rewritten, now we need an app object.
   I would be good to fake that so we can test plugin calls from
   the outside of the routes.

Regards
        Racke

--