[dancer-users] Main Layout Loading

Andrew Beverley andy at andybev.com
Thu May 21 12:08:32 BST 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-21 at 13:04 +0300, Kadir Beyazlı wrote:
> main.tt is loaded if I use a template at my code.
> What is the reason main.tt is not loaded if I don't use a template?

The idea is that you can have full control as to what you return to the
browser. For example, you might want to return only some simple plain
text, or maybe send a file to the browser, in which case wrapping in the
main layout would break things.

If you use the "template" keyword, then the chances are you're
displaying a standard web page, in which case it will be helpfully be
wrapped in your main template, as that's probably what you would want.

> For example, at following code, why main.tt is loaded at login page (get
> '/login') but not loaded at Home Page (get '/' )?
>
> get '/' => sub { return "Home Page"; };

Here you're returning only the content "home page". If you want the text
to be wrapped in the layout, then you will need to put it in a template
and use the template keyword.

The short of it is that whatever you return from your route is what gets
sent to the browser. The layout is just a part of the template
functionality which you can use to return web pages.

Andy