[dancer-users] Redirect to another POST page?

Andrew Solomon andrew at geekuni.com
Thu Jan 8 21:50:14 GMT 2015

Hi Jeff

As I understand it, the reason for this is that browsers (incorrectly)
treat the 302 redirect as a GET regardless of the initial request
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_302

My approach to this would be to store the parameters in the user's
session. Then create an 'any' checkout handler. Therefore, regardless
of whether you wind up with a GET or POST, you can get the data from
your own server rather than from the client's browser.

Andrew

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:48 PM, Jeff Boes <jeff at endpoint.com> wrote:
> I have a page that responds to a POST request:
>
> post '/checkout' => sub { ... };
>
> Then, I have another page that does some different work before this page can be processed. I want to redirect to the
> /checkout page as a POST, so the URL ends up as "/checkout" with no visible parameters.
>
> Long version of the explanation: the /checkout page is my cart checkout page. However, the user might be an "admin"
> user, working from an order creation page that is unlike the normal cart page. So while a normal user goes through
>
> /flypage => /cart => /checkout
>
> an Admin user would go through
>
> get /order/new => post /order/new => /checkout
>
> I got this working with a "forward" operation at the end of my interstitial page,
>
> forward '/checkout', { ... several parameters here ... };
>
> but the only drawback here is that the
> admin user ends up looking at a URL that is not "/checkout", even though the page contents are what they would see at
> "/checkout".
>
> I can get the URL right if I replace "forward" with "redirect":
>
> redirect uri_for '/checkout', { ... several parameters here ... }
>
> which leaves the browser at
>
> .../checkout?foo=...&bar=...&blah=...
>
> Ugly. I just want to end up on "/checkout", with my parameters hidden away. Is there any hope?
>
> --
> Jeff Boes <><
> jeff at endpoint.com
> 269-408-0811