[dancer-users] Plugin globals, and sharing database connections between plugins

Henk van Oers hvo.pm at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 18 08:29:01 GMT 2015

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-02-18 at 07:26 +0100, Henk van Oers wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2015, Andrew Beverley wrote:
>>>
>>> There has been discussion over the last few weeks about the plugin
>>> architecture having problems, in terms of using one plugin's functions
>>> inside another's.
>>
>> It works in D1, not in D2.
>
> Okay, I've probably muddied the waters here. I'm trying to think of this
> from the point of view of the end result. For me, that's reusing a
> database connection in different plugins.

A database connection should be reused, not only in a plugin.

> I don't actually need to use
> one plugin inside another (although it might be useful for other
> scenarios).

Mmm. I do need this. (Or make exporters to make the keywords)

>>> One area that this is particularly problematic is using a database
>>> plugin in another plugin, for example in an authentication module.
>>>
>>> For the latter scenario (but probably not the former), I thought it
>>> might be useful if a plugin could register global data, that could be
>>> accessed by other plugins. This patch does exactly that:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/ctrlo/Dancer2/commit/9383ade1e46691106e835cd9155976fa5247b541
>>>
>>> I'd like to ask for comments from the floor ;-)
>>
>> This does not work for me. I do not want a global bdi.
>
> The advantage of this is that you can reuse the same database connection
> handle.

There is no "the same database connection".
I reuse all connections.

> From what I can tell, reusing one plugin inside another would
> still open another database connection.

Not in D1.

> Not a major issue, but it seems
> cleaner to use an existing one.

You can do that in D2 to. But it looks more verbose...

>> I compose sites using partial apps using unrelated shemas.
>> Yes, I have a DPAE provider using DBIC.
>> But other partial-apps do not know this, use there own shema.
>>
>> "global data" sounds like config.yml
>> I would like a Dancer::Unified::Config
>> used by D1 and D2, to keep it DRY.
>
> Sorry if I've misunderstood, but do you mean that you want to share
> configuration options between different apps?

Yes. And not only between Dancer versions, but whatever framework.

--
Henk