[dancer-users] Dancer on Starman, why slow down?

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Thu May 30 09:58:26 BST 2013

On Thu, 30 May 2013 15:56:45 +0900
hommura hiroaki <hommura_hiroaki at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Why dancer on starman becomes very slow? Am I doing something wrong?
> #### directly starman$ cat app.psgimy $app = sub {        return
> [ 200, [ 'Content-Type' => 'text/plain' ], [ 'Hello World' ] ];};$
> starman &$ ab gives me 4000 reqs/second #### directly dancer$ cat
> app.pl#!/usr/bin/env perluse Dancer;get '/' => sub {  "Hello
> World!" };dance; $ perl app.pl &$ ab gives me 600 reqs/second ####
> dancer on starman$ starman app.pl &$ ab still gives me 600
> reqs/second Why so slow?Is it possible let dancer deal with HTML
> request, and starman deal with non-HTML request directly?

Yeah, Dancer will be slower than a bare-bones PSGI app, as, well, it's
giving you a lot of features, which don't come free.  600 req/sec is
still pretty fast, I'd say :)

I think what you're asking for is to prevent static requests (images,
stylesheets etc) reaching Dancer, which is sensible; I tend to have my
Dancer apps proxied behind nginx, and configure nginx to serve up the
static stuff for me, so those requests never hit the Dancer app.
Pretty sure there's an example of that in the deployment docs.

Cheers

Dave P

--
David Precious ("bigpresh") <davidp at preshweb.co.uk>