[Dancer-users] Logging and "info"

Ovid curtis_ovid_poe at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 22:17:56 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----

> From: Alexis Sukrieh <sukria at sukria.net>

>>  I put info at level 4 under the premise that these messages should always
> be in the logs. I am using this branch at work and so far it works fine.
>
> Hmm, to me "info" should be below warning. If the user does not even
> want to see error messages, he wont want to see "info" messages.
>
> My two cents ;)

Everything everyone has said about lowering the info level makes sense. It just fails in my particular case :)

Specifically, I'm developing a rapid prototype of a real-time bidding system where I want to capture some information quickly. I only want to pay attention to it if there is a problem and then I'm happy to grep the logs. If the proof of concept is successful, I'll probably (not guaranteed) convert the info statements to log the data into the database. Unfortunately, that means if I move the proof of concept into production and lose the warnings, I lose the info I want, also. That's why I put the level at 4.

That being said, I'm happy to stand corrected on this. Perhaps I should create a separate logging mechanism or temporarily log *everything* in production? I was just following the "simplest thing that could possibly work" approach.

Cheers,
Ovid
--
Live and work overseas - http://overseas-exile.blogspot.com/