[Dancer-users] Dancer::Forms

T. Linden tom at linden.at
Wed Jan 11 15:03:50 CET 2012

Hello Everyone,

first of all I'd like to thank the developers of Dancer so much. It's a
great thing and I love it more from day to day!

While I'm new to Dancer, I'm not new to perl, but were using Django as
app server for a long time now. Some day I thaught: this has to be done
in perl, dammit - and I discovered Dancer.

However, I missed one thing, that is the forms module of Django. With
forms you can validate user input, and generate forms. Since I didn't
find anything near such a thing, I implemented it myself: Dancer::Forms.

It does the very same as the Django forms system does: you define some
fields, how they shall be validated, feed your template with it, and
that's it.

Beside user input validation I also added a CSRF protection feature to
the module. This one could be better put into a Dancer plugin perhaps,
I'm unsure...

The name maybe misleading, since Dancer::Forms does in fact not depend
on Dancer. So it could be used in other environments as well. I hope it
is ok, to put it into the Dancer:: namespace anyway.

There's still lots of things to do, like more unit tests, better
debugging possibilities and - maybe - some kind of "model forms" sub
module, which generates the forms from a dbic definition...

Take a look: https://metacpan.org/module/Dancer::Forms

best regards,
Tom

--
Please note that according to the German law on data retention,
information on every electronic information exchange with me is