[dancer-users] dancer_major_version

damien krotkine dkrotkine at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 22:59:00 GMT 2012

Hi,

As I understand, Alexis did a dev release of dancer2. The version is
1.9999_01 or something like that.

People and plugins currently uses int(dancer_version) to discover if it's
running under Dancer 1 or Dancer 2.

int(1.0000_01) emits a warnings, so to work around that, a ne keyword has
been added :

dancer_major_version, which returns what's on the left of the dot in the
version number.

Fine, except that :
- this keyword has not been added to Dancer v1, so plugins using
dancer_major_version will break under Dancer 1
- no advertizing has been made on to what plugins should use (ie continue
using int() or use the new keyword)

What's the best solution ?

In my opinion we can :
1/ Release a new Dancer 1, and ask people to use dancer_major_version and
require the latest Dancer 1 release (or Dancer 2) : long and cumbersome as
we need to potentially modify plugins and contact users and so all

2/ remove dancer_major_version, and change dancer_version so that it
returns the version without the _xx at the end. Simple, doesn't need to
release D1 again, and nothing to change in plugins.

3/ any idea ?

As you may guess, I'm a big fan of solution 2. If you all agree (especially
sukria, as he added dancer_major_version, and maybe he had an other reasons
for that), I can make the change.

In my opinion, the longer we stay in the current situation
(dancer_major_version only in D2), the more dangerous it is

dams.