[Dancer-users] dancer2's prototype is there, feedback needed

sukria sukria at sukria.net
Fri Sep 30 17:55:30 CEST 2011

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:44:27 -0400, Dave Doyle <dave.s.doyle at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Questions if you have a moment:
>
> - Is the object of this to be 100% back compatible?

Given that everything that is soft-deprecated in Dancer1 will be
hard-depreacted in 2, it's intended to be 100% compatible with the DSL.

Also, the configuration files syntax will change (so an existing
application might need to update its configuration file).

Plugins will be more complex to handle, I'll give more details when I'll
take care of Dancer::Plugin in 2.

> - Are we going to change how we do plugins?

I don't want to change that (being able to extend the DSL is - I think - a
nice an interesting feature. But plugins author will have access to the
whole Core API. So they will be able to write more powerful tools, like
generic route handlers (see
https://github.com/sukria/dancer2/blob/master/lib/Dancer/Handler/File.pm
for an example).

So more power expected for plugins.

> - Considering this is a rewrite, is there any augmentation as part of
this?
>  (New functionality, or just better?)

Lots of augmentation:

* namespace scoping (settings, engines, prefixes, filters, everything is
scoped in the caller's namespace now).
* faster (so far, my benchmakrs tell me that Dancer2 is 30% faster than
1).
* important design issues solved (no more applications collisions)
* Much less code lines, so obviously, more stable/maintainable code-base
(Dancer 1 is 12k lines, Dancer2 is 4k currently, for 80% of the DSL).

> Thanks sukria!

Welcome!