[Dancer-users] a REST question immediately followed by a Dancer-implementation question

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:51:15 CEST 2011

So, I have a lot of methods such as
	get '/foo' => { .. };
	get '/bar' => { .. };
	get '/baz' => { .. };
	get '/qux' => { .. };

All the above methods are reachable via a browser in which they depict some visual representation of the data.

Most of the above methods have their '.:format' counterparts, mostly returning JSON packets when reached either via the browser or via the command line.

All the methods above return something by default or modified by parameters. So, "http://server/app/foo" may work, or may require some parameters as in "http://server/app/foo?age=27&before=yesterday&for=rascals"

I would like to implement a "meta" method, say

	get '/rest' => { .. };

which should return a listing of all the methods above, along with their parameters, if any, and whether those parameters are optional or required.

	http://server/app/rest
	{"resources": [
		{"name": "foo, "params": [
			{"required": [
				{"name": "age", "type": "int"}
			]},
			{"optional": [
				{"name": "before", "type": "string"}
				{"name": "for", "type": "string"}
			]},
		]}
	]}

In other words, this meta method returns all the resources available at the http://server/app.

Of course, I could code this for each app, but it would be nice to automate it.

Suggestions? Ideas?

--
Puneet Kishor