[Dancer-users] Packaging Dancer to CPAN

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Thu May 26 12:12:57 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 8:29 AM, sawyer x <xsawyerx at gmail.com> wrote:
> The definition of a share directory when writing a web application is a
> place to put stuff that you really do need to edit on the server, and
> sometimes frequently. Also it's files you sometimes need to set up a back up
> for (such as SQLite DBs, etc.) and that's when sharedir is useless. For
> example, how often do you edit apache config files? I'll be damned if
> they're all lines up in a repository that you deploy automatically now and
> then to /etc/. Same goes for your static files, they aren't sitting in
> /usr/share/yourapp/static/.

I understand that this might get tricky for a regular web app.

My current use case is for a modular system, where one of the plugins
adds a HTTP-based API + Admin web site.

The configuration is mostly done by the modular system (I'm still
figuring out how to override Dancer::Config or at least convince him
to use my own tailor mode .yml config file, but that is for another
post), so I don't even want end users messing with the configuration
sent with the CPAN module.

I basically need a way to make sure that the views/ and public/
directories are packaged properly and when installed with a regular
CPAN client are placed correctly where Dancer expects them.

Maybe the solution to my problem is not the solution to yours, given
that the scope is smaller, but I would appreciate any thoughts on
this.

I'll keep playing with this to see if I can get something I can use.
I'm testing this with a CPAN::Mini mirror and CPAN::Mini::Inject.

Thanks in advance,
--
Pedro Melo
http://www.simplicidade.org/