[Dancer-users] Using persistent DB connections in Dancer::Tutorial

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 15:56:57 CET 2011

Gurunandan Bhat wrote:
> If I rewrite connect_db as:
>
> my $dbh;
> sub connect_db {
>
>      if (! defined $dbh) {
>          $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:SQLite:dbname=".setting('database')) or
>              die $DBI::errstr;
>
>      }
>      return $dbh;
> }
>
> will the application use a single connection for all connections under
> all perl webservers (in-built, mod_perl, Starman, Twiggy etc.).

I am interested in a definitive and clear answer as well. I tried the
above method a while back, and kept on getting errors on transactions (I
am using SQLite).

Since I am using Apache, I added `PerlModule Apache::DBI` to my
httpd.conf, and went back to a simple $dbh creation instead of checking
for `defined $dbh`

Knowing the correct way to implement this, perhaps even the way*s* for
different servers (I am assuming different web servers might have
different ways of implementing persistent connections) would be
tremendously helpful.

Puneet Kishor http://punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org
Science Fellow http://creativecommons.org/about/people/fellows#puneetkishor