[Dancer-users] generating client side code on the server

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 01:43:11 CET 2011

Consider the most basic of workflows

     ## Perl
     get '/:foo_id.:format' => sub {
         my $foo_id = params->{foo_id};

         ## SQL
         my $sth = $dbh->prepare(qq{
             SELECT foo FROM table WHERE foo_id = ?
         });
         $sth->execute($foo_id);
         my ($foo) = $sth->fetchrow_array;

         to_json({data => $foo});
     };

     foo.tt
     ======
     enter a number <input type="text" id="foo_id" name="foo_id">
     <input type="button" onclick="foo();">

     JavaScript
     ==========
     foo = function() {
         $.ajax({
             url     : "/server/" + $("#foo_id").val() + ".json",
             type    : "GET",
             data    : "",
             dataType: "json",
             error   : function() { alert("Error"); },
             success : function(data) {
                 $("#foo").html(data.foo);
             }
         });
     }

If I change the table column 'foo' to 'bar' and 'foo_id' to 'bar_id', I
have to change my Perl code (which includes SQL), my template and
JavaScript. Obviously, this can get untenable very quickly as the
application becomes complex. The obvious solution is to generate the
template and the JavaScript on the server side, thereby having to
declare all the names in just one place. I have recently learned of the
Perl module Jemplate that might enable me to do this. But before I
commit any cycles to it, I want to know how the other Dancers handle
something like this.

Puneet.

--
Puneet Kishor http://punkish.org